RE: new 164L owner questions

Don't let any non-164 mechanic touch your car again.
Anyone that's unfamiliar with 164 will cause more damage
than fixing it.

Check list:
1. Replace all old coolant hoses and get a new overflow reservoir.
   Don't replace one hose at a time when they breaks.
2. replace fuel filter and all three 8mm fuel hoses in engine
   compartment.  They don't last very long in that hot condition.
3. Check radiator fan low speed resistor is still OK.  The old style
   resistor melted in first year.  See if you have new updated
   resistor.
4. Get a 164 mechanic to hear and maybe adjust you valves.
5. High speed driving, good tires are more important than engine.
   A well maintain KIA can do triple digits too.  But you
   need to whip it to do that and wouldn't last long.  Alfa just
   love to do it without you whip it.  A proper 164 will do 130 mph
   without breaking a sweat.  Top speed is around 140 mph.

Karl, San Jose, CA, USA
Welcome to all visitors if you happen to be near by San Jose.

I bought my 164 at, of all places, a Kia dealership.  The engine needed
work,
but the rest of the car was in such good condition, I bought it on the spot.
Kia absorbed the cost for the engine work, but they took a full month to
finally
get it done.  The problem is the valves were not adjusted properly when the
job
was done so I'm treated to that horrible clicking/tapping noise.  How much
wear
and tear does this cause?

Kim
'91 164L