dead spider

hi all,

I have a dead 89 spider.  What happened is, I was working on a ball joint
and had a friend turn the steering wheel, they turned the ignition key to
far and turned on the power.  When this happened a loud buzzing was heard
coming from under the rear shelf, and the car no longer started.  The
buzzing is coming from the combi-relay, its the large black relay next to
the l-jetronic computer.  Replaced the relay ($79) and same thing happened.
Checked the new relay with a solid 12 volts and it turns on fine.  Checked
power supply going into computer its well above 10.5, next checked the small
metal (silver) relay that sits under the combi-relay one it works fine.
>From looking at the repair manual I have the relay gets its power from the
computer, I have both the shop manual and the cardisc cd-rom. I have checked
the fuel pump and I can hear it run, also pulled fuel line off of fuel rail
and it shot gas everywhere, also I just replaced the fuel filter.
       So I have checked the power, cleaned all of the grounds and still the
computer is not sending enough power to the relay to turn it on all the way.
  I trouble shot this with my uncle who was an electronics whiz in the navy,
he says the computer is dead.  Talked with the local alfa shop they said
bring the car in.  Of course he added that it could take 3 months to get a
computer and cost over $1k so I thought I would ask the group.
     If anyone has any ideas on how to test it let me know, otherwise Ill
order a used computer from APE.

thanks,
gary, Tacoma, USA
89 Spider