164 questions

> I have the opportunity to buy a 91 164L for a song. Probably more like
a hymn
> - - praying that there is nothing more seriously wrong with it. It has
130K
> miles with v.g. body and int., AT, leather, sunroof, spoiler etc.
Supposedly
> is in good condition however I have not yet seen the car.
> The following problems are known. ...

What else can go wrong? Maybe not much, considering the long list of
serious and semi-serious problems of which you are already aware. But, I
suspect that if you buy this car you may find out. Just doing a little
"back of the envelope" figuring, it appears if you got the car for free
and paid to have just the evident problems fixed you would have a lot of
money in the car. There may be and probably are other, hidden demons
which will add to the cost. Also, you will not be driving this car while
it is being fixed, so there is the inconvenience of not being able to
use something in which you have money invested.

I suggest you have a prepurchase inspection by a 164 expert and get some
real cost estimates for the repairs before you consider this car. You
may be much better off paying more for a better car to start with.

Paul Rollins
Vancouver, WA