carrillo rods

This mini-thread brings up a point I've been wondering about:
What kind of rpm workload can be expected from a set of OEM rods in a
slightly built 2L engine?  Will OEM handle 7000 rpm (sustained) at the
track?
I will need to rebuild my 73 GTV's bottom end in the near future, but
would like to avoid add'l expenses like $1000  for Carrillo rods if they
are not absolutely necessary.
Any weekend racers with first-hand experience on this issue out there?

Peter Kemos
Santa Cruz