Alfa Romeo's return to NA (some Alfa content at least)

I have been quietly in "lurking mode" for a week or two watching the pros and cons of
Alfa Romeo return to the good ole US of A.

Alfa recently reappeared here in South Africa after a self imposed absence of
several years due to the "political situation" Ha Ha.

Recently one of the major car magazines did a review of the new GTV6 and I grabbed a copy
at the local news agent so I could read up on this Italian beauty.  Well it was pretty
disappointing!  The reviewer (who I have a lot of respect for, for his motoring
expertise) had not much to say which was kind about our beloved Alfa Romeo.  It seems
that Alfa has slipped way behind the other major car makers in terms of value for money
and the bad points out weighed the good points in the review.

Here we are not burdened by catalytic converters, emission control and all the other BS
that the rest of the (civilised) world have to contend with.  The conclusion was that the
new GTV was over priced and under performed for a car which retails for the best part of
$40k.  Here we can buy a Beemer M3, Volvo S40 and a few others which are better
performers  for  quite a bit less than this. Until 3 years ago we had a 125% import
surcharge on fully assembled cars to protect the local motor industry.  This has now been
dropped and  foreign manufactured cars carry only about 15% import duty.

 So why would anyone spend so much money on a new Alfa?  Simply because it is such a rare
 beast doesn't make economic sense to me.  I will stick with my 1998 Fiat Uno Turbo for a
few more years, it is now out of production and is rapidly becoming a collectors car.

The new VW Beetle (which is a 2l Golf in disguise) sells for a similar price, I
wouldn't buy one of those either, but several Yuppies can be seen driving around in them.
The novelty will soon wear off.  What is next for them?  Maybe a Renault (Nissan)
Maxima, Ford Landrover or a Ford Jaguar?  To hell with GM, they stuffed up the local
industry  so many times they can hardly give their cars away at the moment.

So why do we love Alfa's?

I for one enjoy the old fashioned RWD variety.  Lots of spares
lying in scrap yards which owners sell for peanuts 'cause they can't afford the new
spares (which are virtually unobtainable) to fix them up.  A blessing for us "true
enthusiasts"  (read "under capitalised drivers") and such fun to drive to the limits of
our pockets!

I for one feel sad that the good old days of twin overhead camshaft, raw power 4 cylinder
carburettor motors of 30 year old design, and quirky transaxle Alfa's are indeed limited.

John Fielding

South Africa

1985 Alfetta hillclimb car (what a blast)
1998 Fiat Uno Turbo (scares the hell out of my passengers)

End of alfa-digest V7 #1491