Re: Forged con-rods & euro dashes.

ben bishop wrote (among other things):

> Also wonder if anybody can shed some light on a story that i heard about
> early alfetta coupes in europe (lhd) having the Tacho in front of the
> driver rather than the speedo. Would make driving within the engines
> limits a bit easier.
>
> TIA
>
> Ben Bishop
> '77 alfetta GTV

Ben,

My (aged) copy of Joe Benson's Buyer's Guide mentions that the GTZ had the
tach in front of the driver, and the speedo "positioned to impress the
passenger."  He goes on to note, "the Alfetta GT later copied this
arrangement in the hopes of some competion association [...]"

Pat Braden's Owner's Bible has a photo of the interior of an Alfa which Pat
restored, that seems to showi a tach in front of the driver and a speedo
over the center console.

As far as making driving within the engine's limits a bit easier, well, I
don't know how your (australian?) Alfetta is laid out, but I have no
difficulty watching the tach in my spider, despite the fact that it shares
center stage with the speedo.  But if you've got the tach over the center
console and only the speedo behind the wheel, then I'd be inclined to
agree...

Hal