Re: alfa-digest V7 #1488

164 questions

I have the opportunity to buy a 91 164L for a song. Probably more like a hymn
- - praying that there is nothing more seriously wrong with it. It has 130K
miles with v.g. body and int., AT, leather, sunroof, spoiler etc.  Supposedly
is in good condition however I have not yet seen the car.
The following problems are known.
1. "Clicking" noise coming from motor/tranny area which mechanic said was the
flex plate.
2. Auto tranny does not work in "D"  - i.e. it shifts too early.. Driver
starts in 1 and moves it up. (never had oil or filter changed perhaps ?)
3. No timing belt change or other records
4. Trunk release does not work. It clicks but does not release. (Does the 164
have a hidden rear seat pull like a Milano?)
5. Likewise the gas filler door has just crapped out and does not release
from dash button. Sounds like these last items could be relay or ground
problems.
6. Uses some oil - about 1 qt. every 5 to 600 miles.
7. Cruise control does not work. (I rarely cruise...)
Roughly, what would above items 1, 2 and 3 cost to fix in SF Bay Area.?
8. Heater fan works but no hot air to w/shield.
9. Rear window buttons don't work (sounds like lots of poor grounds
everywhere)

For a real beauty (as well as a bargain) which is for sale, please see
following post.