Milano Head Gasket Replacemant

All,

I was changing a valve cover gasket on my '87 Platinum and noticed that the
head gasket was leaking oil.  No oil in the coolant or visa-versa though,
(for now) but I'm not going to wait around for it to get worse.

In any event, the shop I usually take it to wants $2,000 to do the job.
This seems extremely high to me. Can any of the Alfa gurus out there speak
to this?  I'm a bit taken aback by it, and am curious to find out if this is
a fair price for this job..

Having commited to doing the job myself, is there any tricks or pitfalls I
need to watch out for that aren't covered in the manual?
I've replaced the head gasket on a few Spiders as well as some other cars,
so I've probably got the basics covered.

Any help appreciated,

Scott Allen