Re: alfa-digest V7 #1479

In a message dated 03/23/2000 5:26:05 PM Pacific Standard Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

<< 've been told that an uncentered steering wheel (when driving straight
 ahead) is a sign of bad front end alignment, and in fact on other cars an
 alignment has fixed that. But the wheel in my 93 Veloce is slightly off
 (maybe 10 degrees) so I had an alignment done, and its still off.  Car
 doesn't seem to pull at all.  Should I be concerned or ask that the
 alignment be redone?

On several cars I've had (OK, several Alfas) an alignment alone failed to
recenter the steering wheel.  This is a separate procedure that can be done
at the same time as the actual alignment of the wheels, but you have to ask,
check the work, and fiddle with it a little until satisfied.  The position of
the steering wheel is really only a cosmetic issue as far as I know, since
it's round; a properly aligned car will not pull even if the steering wheel
hasn't been centered for visual satisfaction.

Charlie
LA, CA, USA