Re: V-6 Crank size

I just changed the tensioner and the belt on my 92 164L and used the advice
I got on the 164page.   Used a 1 5/8 th socket and it worked fine.  I
believe the actual size is 41mm though.

This brings up a question for me to ask.    When I took the old tensioner
off, it was not aligned up with the mark as the instructions say to do with
the new one at TDC.  I am wondering if this could have caused the untimely
death of the bearing(only 13k).  I am wonderiing if the mechanic who
replaced it before did not adjust it properly.  It was adjusted all the way
to the tightest position and when I put the new one on I only put it half
of the way between tightest and loosest.   Does the tensioner tighten up
alot when the engine heats or does it work the opposite way?   Complete
layman here as the only other timing belt changed was on the GTV6 with the
hydraulic tensioner.  Must say the 164 is a lot easier to change though.
Only 2 hours as opposed to all day.

Have a good day fellow alfa dabblers

Scott Mccaulley
Venice, CA