RE: Lofty Aspirations: My GTV6 racer

Hello Folks,

         I haven't had an opportunity to respond individually to any of the
posts that responded to my original post.  I just wanted to say a very
hearty Thank You to every one that responded - really great info and advice
from all different perspectives.  I particularly liked Bob's post, because
of the very helpful specifics, and frankly, I've seen Bob's car a couple of
times, and if I can make my car anything like his, I'll be a very happy
man.  Of Bob's comments, I particularly liked this bit of insight:

>Before you tear your car apart and do something you will later regret,

To which I was going to respond with nothing but a link to a picture of my
car.  Ian Lomax beat me to the punch off list (I'm sure he won't mind me
quoting him here) with this very appropriate response :

>Whoo hoo hooo... ROFLOL....  Bob, you've obviously never seen Brad's
>"garage".  One gutted GTV6, with parts neatly tucked <everywhere>.  :-)

         My "car" currently consists of: the body shell, engine, transaxle,
suspension, steering, and some of the wiring.  Everything else (doors,
hood, trunk, windshield, interior, bumpers, trim, exhaust, lights,
radiator, etc) is either on a shelf or hanging on the wall.  Even though I
have the factory shop manual, many pictures of the tear down and lots of
labels on things I took apart, the main reason I have not sold or parted my
'85 car is that I need it to show me how to put the'83 back together!
         So I've considered all of the view points that were submitted, and
I'm glad you guys put me back in my place ;-).  A very good point was made
that it's no fun to always be running at the back of the pack, and thinking
about this has changed my perspective somewhat - even though I'm not even
looking far enough into the future to envision doing any wheel-to-wheel
racing with this car.  Currently, the entirety of my track experience
consists of a single day autocross school with AROC Detroit a few years ago
(*sigh*).  My new, less lofty, aspirations for my GTV6 racer look something
like this:

         - Home built welded in cage (I'm ready for the challenge!)
         - Lighter wheels (suggestions?  I like Bob's!)
         - Spider ball joint castor link
         - SZ deDeon pivot (source?)
         - Shankle bars/springs & Koni's
         - '85 aluminum front calipers
         - K&N air filter, less restrictive exhaust
         - Lightened Platinum (4.10 LSD) transaxle
         - Driver's seat, 5-point harness, and tachometer - everything else
stays on the shelf if I can get away with it.

If anybody has any of these items for sale, or knows of a good source,
please let me know!

         I'll save the more radical changes for my second GTV6 racer.  Now
I need to get an SCCA membership application and rule book.  Anyone care to
save me a little time and tell me the best way to get started with that
process, and anything else I should know before jumping in?
         On a not-so-unrelated note, there will soon be a new addition to
the Porter family garage, which I'm sure will illicit a comment from Ian
(he's seen my garage, which overflows into the driveway, and part of the
yard).  I'll have to keep you all in suspense until I've put the finishing
touches on the deal and drag it back home.  Ian, you'll just have to wait
(and worry) to see what I've gotten myself into this time!

         Cheers,
          -Brad Porter           Williamston, Michigan USA
           http://www.geocities.com/siliconvalley/5300
           ICQ: 3011142
           83 Silver Alfa Romeo GTV6 (The Good Twin)
           85 Black Alfa Romeo GTV6 (The Evil Twin)
           88 Pontiac Fiero GT (The Italian-American Step-sister?)
           89 Mystery Car

End of alfa-digest V7 #1475