Re: alfa-digest V7 #1473

> Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2000 20:34:45 -0800 (PST)
> From: Bryan Carter <rosso75@domain.elided>
> Subject: Wet Spider, revised
>
>   I recently posted that my '74 Spider was collecting
> water on the rear parcel shelf and got quite a few
> tubing attached to it.  Thanks to everyone.
>   However, while that may be the source of water
> coming into the car, that's not really my immediate
> concern.  I re-read my post and I guess I didn't state
> my question too clearly.  The problem I'm having is
> with water collecting somewhere under the floor of the
> car.  What concerns me is the drain hole in the floor
> of the parcel shelf behind the drivers seat, under the
> rubber mat (which I've now removed).  When the water
> collects I try my best to mop it up, but as soon as
> the car is driven water can be heard sloshing around
> somewhere.

I'm not sure of the solution to this problem, but I can
describe what happens when it's left like that too long :-(

The parcel shelf is a "second skin", elevated above another
floor panel.  There are no obvious drainage holes from the
area between the floor and the parcel shelf, so if water
gets in there it can do some serious damage to the floor
and eventually the parcel shelf itself.  Worst of all,
it will rust your frame rails to the point where the
car is dangerous.

It seems that the parcel shelf/floor panels aren't made
either (I'd be happy to hear from somebody who can obtain
this panel for me as I am looking to fabricate new ends
for mine and I don't really want to).

How does water get in there?  From the drainage system
around the "gutter" at the base of your roof.

There is a metal gutter which eventually leads to hoses either side
of the car, inside the door jamb at the back of the car.  If these
hoses get blocked or loose, the water just builds up inside the
inner area of your car.  On my car (a 1975 model), Alfa Romeo
thoughtfully left the painting of this area to the purchaser
of the car, so the metal is extremely vulnerable.

Mine has rusted right through to the frame rails, I'm learning
how to MIG weld this weekend...

[deleted]
> Is there a frame rail
> under that hole that might be collecting the water?
> The car and I are on opposite coasts right now so I
> can't really go out and look.  I need advice that I
> can pass on to the 'babysitter'.

The drain tube looks like it can block right at the
bottom (it drains out between the skin of the outer
panel and the side sill).  Note that the hookup at
the top of the drain hose can rust and water will get
inside your spider that way.  The RHD 1975 models
had a sort of seat-like arrangement back there which
pulls out so you can inspect the whole area.
The two plastic trim panels are easily removed to have a good look
at the drain tubes.

dave.
1975 Alfa Spider Veloce 2000 "rusty"
1978 Alfetta GTV 2000 "trusty"