Gas prices, a European perspective

Hi All,
The gas/ petrol price string brings back to me an experience in
Colorado two years ago. I went for a walk at about 8am in the morning
 round the camp-site on which my partner and I had pitched our tent. A
woman came out of a large towed trailer and got into a pickup truck.
She drove 30 meters to the site shop. Went in , got the milk, then
came out got in the truck and drove back to the trailer. All this
happened within my visible range!!! In my opinion (I'm a professional
Biologist) the earths resources are scarce and polution represents a
significant threat to our survival over the next two -three centuries.
 If higher gas prices made a dent in that kind of mentality then
there is a  possibility that we all might get to drive our cars for more
reasonable purposes for longer.
I enjoy cyling to work and love to drive my Alfa when the oportunity
to travel somewhere greter than five or so miles away presents itself.
The two forms of travel are entirely compatible with each other.
The American obsession with low fuel prices so they can drive
everywhere is unrealistic and unsustainable and to be honest selfish. I have no
wish to offend and would say I found Americans to be polite, helpful
and friendly but sometimes you have to tell the truth to friends.
Mike Salter