164 stereo

>From: Howard and Pat Warren <warrenwood@domain.elided>
>Subject: 164 Stereo question
>Okay, I sheepishly admit I should know the answer to this one, but I don't.
>I need to swap out the stero in one of my 164s and I'd like to get a CD
>player. What was the Chrysler car that used the same mounting kit?
>Thanks!
>Howard K. Warren, Little Rock, AR

Howard,

I have recently changed out two 164 stereos.  On mine I had to replace the
factory unit with a CD player and here's what I found out.  The only caveat
I have is that my car is a 91 L and information on the 164 web page
indicates that they may vary.  Just go down to Radio Shack and but two
things - an install kit for Chrysler and a wiring harness plug for a
Chrysler.  I think the Chryslers were all the same but if you need a model
I know for a fact that the 90 Voyager/Caravan used the same radio as the 164.

Next, throw away the instructions from the kit!  They don't specify what to
do for a 164, so you have to wing it.  The faceplate that fills the hole in
the dash you can screw to the left side of the console but you'll have to
play with a bunch of the optional tabs to make one work for the right side.
 There is a long tab that can mount to the bottom of the face plate piece
and you can screw through it into the bottom of the console.  This all
sounds terribly kludgey as I write it but it's not that hard to figure out,
is quite ridgid and looks perfect.  There is a strip of metal with holes to
use for the rear support, or you can modify the original bracket to match
up with your radio if you want.

The wiring harness I got had the standard colors for each wire and so did
my Panasonic radio so it was quite easy to wire up.  If your radio colors
don't match it shouldn't be a big deal since it will come with a diagram
and the harness wires each had their purpose printed on them.

Email me if you want more information.

Chris Lesher
Boulder CO