Re: Gas prices

"Nils L. Corneliusen" <corneliusen@domain.elided> wrote:

> I don't know why you guys complain about gas prices!  I recently
> visited the local gas station and refilled the new GTV. The price
> was 10.32 NOK per litre, approx 1.2 USD !!!

I don't know why you guys >don't< complain about gas prices.

Where I live in California, only 3/4 of the price of a gallon of
gasoline goes to the people actually selling it.  Yet whenever the
subject of gas prices comes up, a bunch of folks on this list
angrily demand that that percentage be smaller still, citing the
fact that the situation is even worse in Europe.

On the subject of gasoline taxation alone is this unfavorable
comparison with the U.S. considered a compelling case for
actually worsening the situation for Americans.  Were we talking
about infant mortality, for example, I doubt anybody would argue
that America abolish the March of Dimes because the mortality
rate is fifteen times higher in Malawi.

I realize that giving the state a bigger piece of the action
would satisfy some listers' feelings of vengeance toward
Americans who cannot prove they need a truck, or who they feel
have too much money, or whatever.  Many have written messages
saying so.  But please realize that it's other people's income
you're volunteering to fulfill this agenda.

Most Americans, myself included, have no interest engaging in a
race to the bottom to see which nation can exact the highest gas
taxes.  Go on ahead without us.

- -Tom
thomasw@domain.elided