Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2000 11:05:52 -0600 (CST)
From: Karl Robrock <robrock@domain.elided>
Subject: oil change organic -> synthetic

I swapped from organic to synthetic at about 90K miles. I bought the car,
and was unaware that the previous owner was not using synthetic oil. He
was having the car regularly maintained by an alfa dealed in cincinnati. I
am very upset at the way the car was maintained. There was sealant in the
coolant system because a crack had developed in the coolant bottle. I'm
sorry, but a $19 bottle from alfabill pales in comparison to the cost of
changing the oil on an alfa. Anyway, my radiator hose blew as a result of
the sealant clogging the system (I guess), and the fluid was very
disgusing. ok, ok, ok , I digress.

I replaced the oil with synthetic about 1500 miles ago, and the oil is
filthy. I am about to change the oil, as had been recommended after
1000 miles,in previous digest postings. Does anyone know if I should
replace the filter too. I tend to think I should, but if I can save the
$8, I will.

thanks

karl