164 Water Pump is off!

Thanks to everyone who provided suggestions, primarily on how to get to
the bolt to pivot the P/S pump (needed to get that belt off as a new
timing belt is part of this project).

Try I as I did, I could not get that bolt loose.  I ended up taking the
pulley off.  Next the pulley for the oil pump and finally I had to swing

the mounting bracket for the alternator out of the way.  Got things
cleaned (old gasket material off, grim, etc.) and will start the
re-assembly tomorrow.

Questions:  Should I gasket shellac on the water pump gasket and on the
gasket between the thermostat housing and the water pump?  How can I
tell if the timing belt tensioner is OK for reinstall?  This is a
mechanical unit and appears OK.

Paul Weimer
Pataskala, OH