Re: Lofty aspirations: GTV6 racer

In a message dated 3/19/00 2:54:21 AM Eastern Standard Time, Brad Porter
writes:

<<         Well, I'm sure no one here remembers me, but I've been on the list
 for several years.  I can't even remember the last time I posted or kept
 current with other's posts.  Occupational busyness has caused general
 inactivity with my hobbies for the last few years.  This year seems, in an
 eerily familiar way, like it may be the year that I finally have the time
 and resources to get back into building my GTV6 racer. >>

We were all wondering where you have been lately, Brad!

About your questions, are you looking to build a car for serious track time
or actually racing it in SCCA?  If you are planning on racing, I would
strongly suggest you obtain a GCR (general conditions of racing) from the
SCCA to determine the types of mods the various classes allow.  Building a
mongrel GTV6  by seat-of-the pants engineering is a sure way to wind up with
a slow car in a VERY fast class.  Driving around at the back of the pack
probably isn't as fun as running competitively with a less modified car.  The
types of modifications you are considering (fiberglass doors, coilover front
suspension, re-engineered rear suspension) will put you in a class where you
are forced to spend a FORTUNE just to stay on the track with the other guys.
Folks in these classes take racing and racecar development very seriously.

If you are looking to make your car fast and potentially race it, I suggest
you prepare it to SCCA Improved Touring (IT) specifications.  The budget
required to build a competitive GTV6 won't break the bank and you'd be amazed
at how fast  you can make your car legally.  I built my GTV6 time trial car
to these specs and it regularly spanks Porsches and BMWs on track day.  My
brother Ray has a VERY well developed IT GTV6 and his car makes mine feel
like a slug.

Before you tear your car apart and do something you will later regret, try
the following mods, take it out on the track and then decide if you need more
speed:

1    Gut interior per Improved Touring specs.
2    Install Autopower weld-in cage.  They make one for your car for under
$500.
3    Shankle supersport torsion bars, springs and sway bars.  If they are too
soft, try
      to find the hollow bars.
4    Koni yellow Sport shocks full stiff.
5    15x7 rims w/ 225/50 15 R compound tires
6    Hawk Blue front brake pads and hi-temp brake fluid.
7    Limited slip diff 70% locked.
8    Performance alignment.  3 degrees negative camber up front w/ 1/16" toe
out.
9    Modified ECU (I think they are IT legal now).
10    Open up the exhaust!
11   K&N airfilter.
12   Hire plastic surgeon to remove smile from face.

The rules allow more mods than this but it's a good start.  Notice I didn't
mention anything about the engine other than the ECU.  Legal engine mods are
expensive and the results are somewhat subtle.

Since you're in Michigan, you should come to the annual Memorial Day event at
Grattan raceway.  I'll take you for some hot laps in my car and see what you
think.

Regards

Bob Boniface