RE: New head gaskets installation

Just a few comments on Oscar Perez's fine description
of removing an old head gasket:

>> ... soak the Head surface in gasoline to soften to
remnant gasket. <<

Lacquer thinner, acetone, or butyl acetate is better
than gasoline. (An official Alfa pub I have actually
recommends butyl acetate). When you think about it, a
head gasket should NOT be soluble in gas, since it's
likely to come in contact with it often. Also, I think
there is a commercial gasket remover made by Permatex.

Whatever solvent is used, as Oscar says it does help
to wait to let the solvent soften the gasket remnants
before removing.

>> ...I then "sanded" with scotchbrite pads to clean
up the surface. <<

I usually use 240 or 320 wet/dry sandpaper with WD-40.

Good luck,

Rich Hirsch
St Louis MO