Angry Alfa Owner - Gas Prices (no Alfa Content - sorry)

Several words on CONUS gas prices.

First - Connecticut.  Here the direct taxes at the pump per gallon amount
to about 54 cents.  About the highest in the country.  18.3 cents Fed and
the balance State.  Now CT is currently running a huge surplus in their
coffers.  But do you think they will give us some relief at the pump?
Pretty unlikely.  Wringing of hands and emotional speeches will be the
sum of it.

At the Federal level, estimates range to as high as 90 cents per gallon
in total taxes, direct, excise, well head, etc.  At this level of
taxation, we still get the same emotional displays from our tallented
leaders.  The Feds have virtually snuffed out offshore drilling, well
field exploration in "Federal lands", further Alaskan oil development and
pipeline building to rout domestic supplies more efficiently around the
lower 48.  Meanwhile they modify the fuels with MTBE thereby reducing
efficiency, adding another 5 cents a gallon and introducing a highly
suspected carcinogen pollutant into our watersheds.

So the sum of it is that our gov't is not helping us and would love to
move us to mass transit or alternate forms of energy that would enable a
further tax squeeze for development of same.  Time to write some more
letters to our leaders on this issue.

Ron Coddington
Hamden, CT
'69 1750 GTV