Cleaning Neglected Alloy Wheels (no Alfa content)

My Domestic Associate (thank you, dug) recently
purchased a beautiful and fast 1993 red/tan twin-turbo
Mazda RX-7...and I get to drive it all weekend!  :p

Anyway, amongst the short list of repairs the car
needs, I was disgusted to discover that the stock 15"
alloy wheels were terribly neglected.  Absolutely
BLACK with probably seven years of accumulated brake
dust, oil, etc.

First I tried a commercial wheel cleaner, that was a
waste of time.  Next I tried a toothbrush and Simple
Green, that worked to a certain extent.  I then tried
SOS steel wool pads, that cleaned the wheels a bit
more.  While the wheels now no longer detract from the
beauty of the rest of the car, they are still quite a
ways away from what I consider satisfactory.

Anyone have another suggestion for cleaning the
wheels?  The alloy is not entirely smooth but a little
textured, which allows the filth to really cling.

Any help is appreciated!

Diane
NoVA

'91 silver Spider Veloce
'80 black Spider Veloce
'96 green/gold GMC Sierra 2500 SLT 4X4
'74 bay American Morgan Horse gelding (1 bhp)
'93 red Mazda RX-7 (by association)

<\___~
 (( ))