Re: hot Spider

Jay,

I'm digging into it this weekend. I have several good suggestions to
pursue. First, the hoses are fairly new (less than 1 year and in good
shape - got a second opinion). When I look at the hoses after the car is
warm/hot, the hoses are normal size. It is only after they cool that the
top collapses and I think that the bottom hose also collapses a little.
One suggestion was that I might have a small leak in the system that is
letting air in. I've done one check of clamps and will do abother - the
next step is to take it to a radiator shop and have it pressure tested
(if I go down that road). It seems logical to me though that if air can
get in, steam/coolant can get out and the system doesn't seem to be
leaking (no coolant loss). Another suggestion is that I have a blockage
somewhere, I'm planning to flush, refill  and bleed the system. Also
bought a fresh T-stat just in case on advise that it could be that it is
not opening the bypass. The weather here  has turned cool again and is
not a good test of any repairs (needs to be above 80 degrees). Thanks for
your help. I'll post the results if I ever identify the culprit.

Regards,
Sid
Houston

On Sat, 18 Mar 2000 00:11:40 -0800 Jay Negrin <jmnegrin@domain.elided>
writes:
> Sidney wrote, inpart,
>
> "Another observation is when the car cools, the upper radiator hose
> collapses flat, when I open the radiator cap it expands again. This
> shouldn't be happening either."
>
> You are quite correct.  This should not be happening.  If it is
> happening to the lower radiator hose as well, then it could be
> collapsing due to the suction, being the inlet to the pump.
> remember
> that pumps have two connections, the inlet, which is the suction,
> and
> the outlet, which is referred to as the discharge, or pressure side.
>
> If the radiator hoses are old, or infirm, this can, indeed, be
> happening.  You *might* be able to see this happening, but likely
> not,
> as it will happen under load, at high cooling demand (high speed;
> high
> revs).
>
> If you are lucky, this may be the only thing wrong.
>
> Hope so
>
> Jay Negrin
> ARO Southern California

End of alfa-digest V7 #1463