re: gas prices

hi robert, ewe said:
>Regarding gas prices- we would like to see gasoline priced at about
>$2.00/gallon. It will put prices more inline with the rest of the world,
>encourage conservation, provide much needed capital for the South American
>oil producing nations that have been unable to pay their debts (not to
>mention being unable to provide basic services for their citizens), and
>drive a bunch of people off of the road who don't need to be driving around.
>A bunch of rich, spoiled Americans crying because it costs too much to fill
>up their gas guzzling SUV's and pickup trucks - it makes me sick. Congress
>wants to repeal the federal gas tax - great idea until you hit the pothole
>there is no money to fix.  How about a temporary gas subsidy for the poor
>(under 20k income) so that they can get to work. Everyone else should pay,
>and pay more.
====================
HERE! HERE!  *anything* that helps get the blight of suv's & p'up's off the road
- - be they driven by rich *or* poor - sounds great to me!!!  my income is nowhere
*near* 6-figures, my commute is ~90 miles/day (yes, luca, i *love* commuting
in/on *all* my toys!), but i'd *gladly* see the price of gas in the usa
stabilize at $2-$3/gal, if it help would get all the blight off the roads!!!
these vehicles are fine - for a purpose - but 98% of 'em don't get used for
anything more'n commuting...

doug "i cheered aloud when i saw a 3-suv pile-up on i-270 yesterday!" sedon,
'72 de tomaso pantera - 13 mpg
'78 ducati darmah - 45 mpg
'86 alfa gtwe6, shankle-ized 3.0 bastard - 21mpg
'88 alfa werde, 's'-cams/kirshtein ecu-afm, 137k miles - 22mpg
'88 alfa werde, 66k miles - ?mpg
'92 alfa 1645L, 20mpg
'95 buell s2, 110hp, 48mpg