Let's move on all (was: Alfa vs Corvette)

It was written some time ago...

"Take a Corvette C5, and one of the following cars:
Peugeot 205 GTi (or newer 206 GTi)
Renault Clio Williams (or newer Clio Sport)
Fiat Punto GT (or newer Punto HGT)
Fiat Coupe' 2.0 20v Turbo
Honda Integra Type-R
Alfa Romeo GTV 2.0 V6 TB
Alfasud 1.5 Ti (now there is an old timer)

Go to a TWISTY European road, like in the Alps of
Northern Italy.  Besides instances where power is
the limiting factor (going up steep grades).. those
cars would destroy a C5 (especially downhill), where
I would be scared to drive that large lumbering car
(3200 pounds, a Type-R is over 600 pounds lighter!).
Also these cars I mention are a fraction of the price,
and many times more fun).  Imagine powersliding the
Sud around the turns, where the C5 is fishtailing
(way to long a car)."

Excellent choice of bait, I'll byte (mis-spelled fer dug) on that one.

Answer this question:  Where does the Vette come from?  The good 'ole US =
of A!  What's the lay of the land around here when travelling by car?  =
TONS OF WIDE OPEN SPACE!!.  All those cars listed above would be huffing =
& puffing trying to hang with the Vette cruising across the country.  =
Even our lovely Alfa GTV.  Nothing against any of these rides, they are =
great at carving up twisties as mentioned.  I think the Vette is well =
suited here and does very well going 'round corners.  But!  I also think =
it's ugly with a way cheesy interior.

I remember driving around Mt. St. Helens a few years ago in my Scirocco =
that had a very well sorted suspension and sticky rubber.  As I was =
exiting the Ape Caves Tunnels parking lot, I picked up the tail end of =
what I assumed to be the Corvette club.  Half a dozen mid-80's Vettes =
loafing along.  When I picked off two of 'em in one pass they woke up =
and decided to 'flex some muscle'.  I'm not talking HPs, we were =
climbing up the mountain around hairpin turns.  My Scirocco was being =
flogged to the limit, tail drifting around occasionally.  I was nearly =
able to keep pace with them in the turns but they weren't even breaking =
a sweat.  So what I'm saying is I believe Vette's, especially the C5, =
handle much better than is perceived.  I've seen 'em at the track and =
they are usually some of the fastest when driven by a decent driver.

All I can say is let's not compare tomatoes to garlic.  And let's quit =
talking about Vettes & Camaros & crying about GM & worrying about 'real' =
Alfas.  I'll buy a 156 and drive it with pride.  I'll try my best to =
educate the FNG's about Alfa's past and convince them to join the local =
club.  When we see the new Alfas in the flesh (sheetmetal I guess) I'm =
sure many 'die hard Alfa enthusiasts' will come around.  Sheesh, welcome =
to present day Earth! =20

G'night & g'morning,=20
Zach
Redmond, WA
'91 164S <-- not a real Alfa
'76 Alfetta GT  <-- maybe a real Alfa
'00 Suzuki SV650  <-- A real hooligan machine!

PS- I'm not making any apologies.