Re: Picking nits about drawing lines about the real Humpty Dumpty

In a message dated 3/16/00 11:23:06 PM Eastern Standard Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

<< I have no personal argument with Joe or his organization- no dog in THAT
 fight- but I think he may have missed my drift. Indeed, one can draw lines
in
 many places. Karl Ludvigsen drew HIS line with the 6C 3000 CM of 1952 in a
 most memorable article ("The Last of the Red-Hot Alfas") in the old SCI. He
 scored good points. For my part, the line falls elsewhere, and not just as a
 whining excuse for not opening my wallet to buy a new Alfa (which I have
done
 several times). Nor did I complain when Fiat pulled its Alfa brand out of
 North America, nor do I wish to see them back. >>

<<< And I am not anti-Fiat. Fiat has had a memorable history, has built some
memorable cars, and if Fiat reenters the US market I would certainly consider
a Fiat on its merits if I was looking for a new car. But not if they called
it an Itala, or an Isotta Fraschini, or an O.M, or any other name which had
its own heritage quite distinct from Fiat's legitimate heritage.

Sorry if this is too bitchy, Joe. Others (obviously!) draw lines elsewhere.
As one digestisti memorably said, "if it looks like an Alfa, sounds like an
Alfa, and has Alfa's name on it, it's an Alfa". His choice.>>>>

John,
I understood your point from the start and find it a breath of fresh air on
this list. One of the few that is into the true historical aspects of Alfa
Romeo & Italian automobiles. You would fit in well with what we are trying to
do at "Le Belle Macchine d'Italia". We should have Alfa # 412030 out on the
track again this year. Still possibly the most desired Alfa in the world.

There just seems to be a group that isn't happy unless they are complaining.
And they are the same ones that bitched about not being able to buy a new
Alfa, but didn't buy one when they were here and now that they are coming
back say they won't buy one cause they aren't Real Alfas. The same people
that will put used brake pads on their car and then complain about the price
of the pads and why they didn't last very long.

Joe