Re: GM electrics

 Italiacars@domain.elided wrote:

>The industry purchases more GM parts than any other company.

Gee, all of those sensors and connectors that say "Bosch" in my Mitsubishi
must be counterfeit.  In all the time I worked as a Honda mechanic, I never
saw a GM component on one of their vehicles--never saw many electrical
problems with them either.

> The fact that
>your friend have problems with their electrical system is unfortunate for
>them. There are over 15,000 parts on a car, if it is 99.9% perfect you
still
>have 15 problems.

First off, I said "friends", not friend.  I live in an area where the
percentage of GM manufactured vehicles, mostly trucks, is very high.
Literally ALL vehicles present some problems after purchase, but my
GM-driving friends clearly experience more than those driving vehicles of
Japanese origin.

When most manufacturers are working towards 6-sigma failure rates, 99.9 %
is pretty pathetic, don't you think?  Those of us in the know do.  The
bathtub curves for American cars are still much shallower than those for
Japanese designed cars.  That's not something you go around bragging about
it.

>One thing you will find is that most electric problems can
>usually be traced to the installation of an aftermarket, stereo, phone,
alarm
>system etc. I know of an incident where a phone was installed in an STS
and
>resulted in the destroying of a Northstar transmission. You can't just tap
>hot wire anymore.

That's not what I'm talking about.  I'm talking about instrument failures,
injection sensor failures, ignition system failures, etc.  These aren't
components that were broken by their owners, they're components that were
improperly manufactured.

Rich Wagner
Montrose, CO
'82 GTV6 Balocco

p.s.  Please include your name and location with your emails.  It's a
courtesy we on the Digest agreed to follow a long time ago.