Re: No Applause Necessary

"Rex Carz" <rexcarz@domain.elided> proclaimed:
> As no one else has taken personal credit for the impending return of Alfa to
> the North American market, let me be the first to do so.  How did I pull off
> this amazing feat, you may ask?  Well, it was really quite simple....

I'm not sure that I got much insight into exactly how Rex pulled off this feat,
but I did gather tremendous insight into the mind of an Alfa owner:

> ...and I found a nice white 1991 S at what I thought was a reasonable price
> given its fundamentally sound condition.

OK, now let's see the definition of "fundamentally sound":

> ...needed both front motor mounts, new rotors and pads for all wheels, one
> new front shock absorber, a new lock solenoid for the buzzing right front
> door, a new CV boot hopefully the joint is OK) and a new tensioner and belt.
> Tensioner and belt were replaced only 15,000 miles ago, along with 12 valves,
> head gaskets, and water pump, but the mechanic who put the tensioner on (and
> who will go nameless) apparently torqued the tensioner to the max, waaaay
> beyond where the pointer says.  This car has already eaten its motor twice in
> 91,000 miles (in addition to the new parts noted above the current motor is
> reputed to have only about 60 k miles on its bottom end).

Hey, Rex, I'm looking at a fundamentally sound bridge out my window right now
that may be available!
- --
jw (NYC)