U-505 and Enigma

Interesting to read Richard's comments about  Captain Gallery  nearly =
being courtmartialed over his  task force's capture of this sub ("because =
as a task force commander he was aware of Ultra and was supposed to know =
better -- the sub was supposed to go to the bottom with the machine on =
board.").

Interesting because I gather that it was the naval version of the Enigma =
which gave the Allies the most headaches, and I gather that until they =
cracked it they were as keen as mustard to capture a unit for assistance. =
They actually mounted a specific mission or missions with the sole object =
of capturing them. (And I guess, with the understood risk of revealing a =
possible compromise to the enemy).  So I would have thought  that the =
fortuitous capture of a sub complete with its unit wuld have been a great =
coup. However, things weren't always as they seem, especially in the =
signals intelligence business, so I could well be totally wrong here.  =
Actually when today I saw the name U-505 in the first post on the topic, I =
thought it sounded familiar, so it was interesting to have the Enigma =
connection confirmed later. I've got a few books about it at home, =
including one which covers the various captures in some detail. Must dig =
them out for a re-read.......

Best regards,=20
Graham in NZ.=20
71 GTV, 78 Alfetta GT,=20
82 & 82 & 84 Alfa Sub (ah sorry, make that Sud).