RE: Alfa Digest #1440 - "Another One Bites the Dust"

>Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2000 19:06:51 -0600
>From: rodney Tidwell <rodneygt@domain.elided>
>Subject: another one bites the dust

>The rear of my formerly very nice '87 milano gold was smashed into by a
>drunken camry driver today.  He was arrested.  I limped home with an
>acordian which previously had been the rear of my car.

>My car is no doubt a total loss - the back doors will never open again, the
>trunk won't close and the spare is permanently entombed below the carpet.

>So, I now must deal with his insurer (USAA) and search for another car.  At
>various times, some of you have mentioned showing alfa values as greater
>than say KBB shows ($2035.00 on an 87 milano gold w/ 95K miles).  If anyone
>has collected any data showing a greater values or any other helpful
>information, I would appreciate you sharing it with me.

>Also, if any of you know of a nice alfa sedan for sale, please let me know.

>Thanks,
>Rodney G. Tidwell
>McComb, MS

Having had this experience and having been married to an insurance broker - Here is an approach that has worked for me.  If the payout on your "total" is inadequate, most insurance companies will allow you to find three comparable classified ads for car and will pay you the average if it is higher.  When I was in this position, I went to my local newstand every day for a week purchasing newspapers from all over the country.  After I found the three highest (I also through in a few extra ads to substantiate my claim), I provided the average and supporting documentation. The insurance company thanked me for doing their home work and paid me the higher figure.

Gary W. Patitz
Boeing Phantom Works
Program Management
206-662-0307  fax:206-544-1149