RE: High Wattage Bulbs - Why they don't work

   There are two reason why almost none of these bulbs works:

   Most of bad headlight is simply aiming issue not
   wattage.  Most of cars on the street aim at wrong
   height - mostly too low.  Most of owners don't know how to
   adjust headlight, Shop do not want to take the time to do it
   right either.  Even with aiming equipment it is not perfect.
   The best way to do it at night in a dark flat parking lot
   with a wall you can aim at. It is very time consuming to get
   it right - try and error.  Some of cars apparently
   adjusted by owners point at sky not at road.

   Back to why these bulbs don't work.  First because its bulb
   filaments are not at correct center.  It screw up the good light
   pattern of original headlight.  Second, it create too much heat
   at connector than it was designed for.
   It is a vicious cycle that will deteriorate rapidly.  As contact
   goes bad it create even more heat at connector until melt
   connector and wiring completely.  Now no bulbs in the world
   can make it work as you have a bad electric contact.

   PLEASE don't use junkyard connectors they will not have good
   electric contact.

   In US, Pepboys sell new 9004 connector you can replace yourself if
   your are good at electric works.   Either use correct clamping
   equipment -  sorry cheap clamp does work let along a pliers.
   A good clamp up to aircraft quality that can form cold soldering
   will cost your more than $100 dollars.  Even if you have clamp
   capable of cold soldering doesn't mean you can do it right - most
   likely not the first time.  Not done right the connection will
   oxidize over time.  Your best bet is soldering.  The heavy gauge
   wire need at least 60 watt soldering iron.    Don't be frustrated,
   99% of  auto mechanics out there cannot do it right either.  This
   is  why the more you have them fix it,  the more trouble you have.

   There are same wattage but 20% brighter bulb sold by good brand
   name( sylvania ) that works.  They cost a few dollars more
   than normal ones.   Do not try the purple light either.

Karl

Saw no responses so here's mine.  I, too, despaired at the poor illumination
provided by my Verde's headlights.  I installed high wattage bulbs.  Didn't
install a relay in the circuit.

A relay wouldn't have helped.  The higher current draw heated the connectors
so
much that they melted, totally ruining them.  Had to get replacements from a
junk yard.

I'm back with standard wattage bulbs until I install the Euro lights I have.

On another subject, I bought my first Alfa, a '71 Berlina, new.  Bought my
second, a '79 Alfetta GT, new.  Bought my third, an '87 Milano Verde, sorta
new
(a press demo car with 6000 miles).  Haven't bought many, but I still own
two.

Mike in Houston
<<