Alfas return (GM-Fiat alliance)

Hi all,

With the announcement today of the alliance between GM and
Fiat:  GM taking 20% of Fiat Group's Fiat Auto SpA division,
and Fiat Group taking 5.1% of GM (Ferrari SpA and Maserati
SpA are not part of the deal since they are owned seperatly
by the Fiat Group... as is I believe IVECO truck, and Magneti
Marelli).

... doesn't this seem a good chance for Alfa Romeo (and
possibly Lancia and Fiat) to return to N. America?  (I think
Maserati was already on its way before this alliance,
correct?)

It is great to know that Agnelli was able to put an alliance
together that keeps Fiat independent (not like what happened
to Volvo, Chrysler, etc.).  It is a bit a deal with the devil though,
and a bit funny thinking of Fiat Group being one of GM's largest
shareholders.  Overall, the idea may just turn out to be brilliant.

Primarily this alliance is for technology, but I'm sure GM will
want a return on their own investment, so I believe they will help
Fiat make more money by marketing their cars in more
markets.

If Fiat gets access to GM's marketing expertise, and their dealer
network in the US (VERY IMPORTANT).  I think we will see more
Italian cars here soon (and finally not just the Lamborghini, Ferrari,
De Tomaso, and Maseratis who almost no one can afford!).

With the design/engineering/quality Fiat has now.. it is all a matter
of cracking into the US market.  With GM helping them, it can only
be a 'win' situation for Fiat in this alliance.  Fiat has so much to gain
from this.

I'm not sure yet what GM will get, unless we will soon see Buicks
and Oldsmobiles with Fiat VVT Turbo engines, Alfa Selespeed F1
systems and 156 suspensions!..hehe.

On a side note, congratulations to Ferrari for their 1-2 win
in Australia!  Forza Ferrari!!!

take care,

Ryan
Saab 900 2.0 16v Turbo