Re: Zat's 1972 Alfa Sud (sic)

In AD7-1432 James Tsakirgis writes "I think we need to clear some of the
facts up about this 1972 Sud" and goes on with: "Copied from the site: 1972
Alfasud TI #500003 engine #00001 red, yellow/black, first of production, EPA
car, race prepared by factory, restored, vintage eligible, many N.O.S.
spares, extra engine, last raced 1985, SCCA homologation."

Fusi, who is not invariably correct but often is, says that the Alfasud (one
word) was shown at the Turin show in November 1971, and that the car was
actually launched on the market in June 1972. He then says that the Alfasud
ti (lower case) was shown to the press in October 1973. D'Amico & Tabucchi
are in full agreement on the sequence and dates. (And capitalization.)

D'Amico & Tabucchi give chassis numbers (which Fusi does not) with the
Alfasud starting at 500001 and the Alfasud ti starting at 5320011. The "EPA
car" part suggests that Don Black may have run certification tests on this
car (as he did for other cars which could have been, but were not, introduced
to this market) and it would have been entirely normal for the car to have
stayed at Englewood Cliffs as a company hack and conversation piece. It would
not be surprising if Black tweaked the car (which I am guessing could be the
meaning of "race prepared by factory") and it also would be entirely possible
for the car to have been retrofitted to ti standards at some time after the
ti was introduced. If so, the car would be what Giuliettisti call an
"abnormale" rather than a literal 1972 ti. In any case, it would seem to be
an anomaly, but with a history which might enhance its interest and/or value
to Alfasudisti.

John H.
Raleigh, N.C.