Alfas in U.S (long)

It 's very interesting to sit back and observe all the theories going on here:
Italian vs. German vs. Japanese Cars
Alfa Marketing mishaps
Alfa's poor quality control
FWD Vs. RWD.

So to throw my hat in the ring:

IMHO and experience Japanese car are more often than not more reliable than all
European marques, this includes BMW and MB, these two companies have had just as
many costly issues as Alfas (comparable year models) sure a new Benz might be a
model of reliability (it really isn't) but for the money it should be..
Having said that, most Jap cars have all the fun quotient of a refrigerator.

Alfa marketing did screw up in selling the cars to the wrong group of people,
the car should've been marketed at performance enthusiasts with the correct
models being produced/marketed. A poor man' s Ferrari, not going head to head
trying to beat Lexus on leather seating surfaces and stereo wattage, Alfa loses
here, in fun they win.

Quality control, no better or worse than, Umm, say Ferrari. Ferrari got away
with, ironically because they are so expensive, it was almost a badge of honor
for a Ferrari owner to display his 3,000 dollar service bill for routine
maintenance. Ferrari has been much improved as has Alfa, but I personally never
want to see the day when a Ferrari (or Alfa) trades off the artistry and
uniqueness for perfect heater vents and the like. Alfa IMHO, are and have been
the best trade off for those seeking exoticar thrills tempered with realistic
running costs.

Compare Alfa upkeep to contemporary Porsche products and suddenly they don't
stack up so bad. A GTV6 versus a 944, which is more expensive to keep on the
road?  it's likely a toss up, while driving experience is dependent heavily on
personal preference.

How about an 1988 Milano 3.0 versus a Nissan Maxima 3.0, which cost more to keep
up?, likely the Alfa and it's worth every single penny in this case. My point
is, compare Apples to apples. In the U.S, Alfa was, and if they come back, will
be a prestige brand not a Honda competitor.
In Europe they may be just a regular car, but IMHO, they can't make it here like
that, Jorge noted the proliferation of Italian Culture in the U.S recently, sure
but do you lump Armani and Versace in with the GAP? No, so why is it done to
Alfa?

Finally,
I keep my Milano versus going as modern as I can go Alfa wise with a 164
somewhat because of RWD but mostly because of size, 164's just too big for me.
But bring 146/156 here and Nizam will have to be second on line when the first
dealership opens it's doors.

Rant complete. Enjoy your weekends and Forza Ferrari in Melbourne.

Giovanni
88 Verde