RE: North American Alfa Sales Figures

hi brian, ewe said:
>I don't think it matters what the "majority of usa alfisti" are turned off
>by - Alfa failed in the USA because they couldn't sell cars to anybody other
>than a small segment of the market.
>
>FWD or RWD, the new Spider and GTV would have sold well over here either
>way..
=================
i agree that alfa failed in the usa because they couldn't sell cars to anybody
other than a small segment of the market.  however, i must humbly disagree
w/your opinion that the gnu spider & gtv wood have sold well here:  1st, a large
% of the *small market* that alfa already had *is* turned off by fwd, like it or
not.  and 2nd, yust cuz the gnu models may be up to the standards of
style/quality that the usa market expects (personally, i think the style/quality
of my gtwe6-n-werde is as good as any jap/euro/amer-car i've owned), doesn't
mean that the american public will ante up.  look at the 164 - a quality
product, quality style, competitively priced w/its competition.  while marketing
was poor, it was more marketing than the marque had ever gotten previously.
still, few takers.  unfortunately, we'll never know which of us is right
regarding success of the gnu gtv/spider here...

doug s.