Re: Automatic Milano?

>Looked at an Automatic Milano today.  I did not realize Alfa made that
>type of car.  Anybody know of the strong/weak points of that particular
>model?

Chip,

I have recently got my first "real" Alfa - a 75 2.5 v6 Auto(*).... And I
like the thing. Quite a lot. I've not put many miles on it yet - it needs
a few more bits and a bit more time before it's legal.

The auto box itself is a ZF three speed, and seems good. Nice ratios, well
spaced. Probably substantially slower than a manual, but... Kickdown on
wet roundabouts causes forward vision to be through the side window, so
manual shifting could be order-of-the-day. Being a ZF it's probably quite
reliable - mine has 80k miles on it, and is good.

Only real funny is that the Auto had odd self-levelling dampers on it at
the back, which seem to take feed from the power steering pump. They will
come off mine soon. Somebody has already removed the link from the centre
Watts Link nut to the adjuster for it, so they do nothing anyway. The diff
also seems narrower than manuals, so there are some little spacer cages
between the driveshaft and rear disks - yes, more of those allen bolts to
remove... Other than that, all seems as per normal, I believe.

Adrian Chapman
'90 Alfa 75 v6 Auto
'89 Citroen CX GTi Auto
'88/'99 Citroen 2cv 4x4
'82 2cv
'79 Citroen Dyane 6
'73 Citroen Ami Super
'66 Citroen AK350 2cv van
(*) and ex-user of a 155 1.8TS 16v (Company car)