Rotate 'Sud tires

Not being from your side of the Atlantic, I can't address all of your
tire options completely.  I will mention, though, that I have been
driving front-drivers around since my first SAAB in 1974.  (Yes, I admit
to not being an Alfa-only family.) I have found that, as you indicated
so well, that the front tires do, indeed, want to wear ferociously fast
compared to the rears.  Heck, the rear tires just go along for the ride
most of the time.  No steering.  Less than 20% of the braking forces.
No acceleration.  The rear tires have it easy, so they last damn near
forever.

I like to even out the score.  I rotate the tires, front to back about
every 5 thousand miles (8 km).  I now have nearly 35 thousand miles on a
set of Yoko AVSi 205/50 x 15 on my VR6 GTi. They are just about toast,
and I am looking for a replacement.  My passengers will attest that I
don't pussyfoot around to much.  I like to push the envelope, without
finding the actual limits, though.

I'd say not to be afraid to rotate the tires front to back.  That way,
when the tires, all four of them, need to be replaced, you can replace
all four with whatever is current.  Not to have two differenct types on
different ends of the car.

My two cents worth.

Jay Negrin
ARO Southern California