Re: How Do I Upgrade From 2 to 4 Speakers in Spider?

Ken,

Shouldn't be too big a deal.  The only caveat is that space is pretty tight.
My veloce has 5 1/4" speakers in the back, just like in the footwells.  They
seem to only JUST fit (there's a metal support for the shelf on either side,
limiting the space).  I'd get some speakers, make a template, and (carefully)
cut the holes.  The most effort will probably go into neatly routing the wires
to the back (unless there are wire run already for you).  If you do have to
route the wires, route the two together on the same side, and just leave one
long enough to continue on across the back.  There doesn't seem to be any point
in routing the left speaker back along the left of the car, and then going
through the same effore on the opposite side.

If anyone on the digest has had success mounting larger speakers on the back
shelf, I'd like to hear about it.  I remember it being very tight.

Ken - also, I don't know what radio you have in the car, but the factory wiring
on my '86 was a little funny in that the right side front and rear connections
shared a negative, as did the left side.  This resulted in a total of six wires
out of the back of the radio, rather than the expected eight.

Let me know if I can help with further specifics.

Hal Taylor
'86 spider veloce "Strega"