RE: 205-55R14's rubbing in the rear?

- - I had a great time autocrossing today but at the end of the day I was
- - surprised to see marks in the wheel well (and scuffs on the tire) on the
- - rear driver's side. Not on the passenger side, though.
- -
- - What could cause this? The tires are not that wide. I was not under the
- - impression there would be any clearance problems with 205/55s on the
turbina
- - rims.
- -
- - Is something out of alignment? Does something need to be replaced?
- -
- - Thanks,
- - -Glenn
- -
- - '93 Spider Veloce Conemasher

Glen:

I autocross a 74 Spider and have had the same problems result with
215/50/R14 on Turbina wheels. Although I don't think there is much of a
problem with a little rubbing, as long as no tire damage is occuring, there
are a couple of reasons you may be experiencing it.

With the stock spring and bar setup, the Spider has a fair amount of body
roll, especially with older cars. Although yours is fairly new, the springs
are still fairly soft for the kind of lateral g's you generate in an
autocross. Another cause can be the trailing arm busings and trunion
bushings, both of which contribute to another familiar symptom and that is
rear-wheel steer under hard cornering.

If you want to improve the handling characterisitics for autocross, a set of
stiffer springs and possibly a bar change in the back will help, but you
will also want to go through those bushings as well. Except for changing the
stock front coil springs, whcih can be somewhat treacherous, the whole job
is fairly straight forward.

Leonardo Del Castillo
74 Spider Veloce
88 Milano Verde