What is the point of no return (restore)?

Hi all,

A few digests back, someone mentioned two Giulia GTs (64 and 67, if I
recall) which are about to get scrapped due to their being in a state of
economically beyond repair.
Am I the only one who felt sad reading that? We will have more parts.
Great...Wrong. We will have less Bertone Coupes around.
Yeah, I know, there are such things as reason and logic (and bank managers)
but as far as I am concerned, keeping my Alfa running properly is totally
logical...
A few blocks away from my home sits a poor GT Junior - complete, but also
completely corroded. Still I would hate to see it scrapped; If I had the
skill \ knowledge \ space \ wife agreement ( disregard the order), I would
love to track down the owner and have it as a project car.
My 72 GTV keeps me smiling everyday driving to work, but will never return
the bills I keep paying to have it running properly.
OK, enough with the blah, blah. My question is - What is the point of no
return (restore)?
When does a mass produced Guilia\lietta reach the state of being
economically beyond repair? Dealing with mass production classic cars is
never economical.
Just thinking aloud.
Guy
72 GTV2000