glass adhesives

I have noticed several posting of late regarding "glueing" metal bits to
glass.  Mirrors, wind-wing latches, and the like.

When I got the Afletta, the rear view mirror was held on with silicone
adhesive.  Fine, except the mirror broke shortly after I took possession
of the car.  Damn!  I tried a new mirror (generic) with the supplied
adhesive.  Cleaned the glass and mirror with acetone, as instructed.  it
held for less than one week.

I went to a windshield shop, where they did it while I waited.  $3.
Less than the price of the little tube of glue for me to screw it up
myself.  btw - that was 3 - 4 years ago.  Mirror is still in place, even
if it is getting funky.  But, it is still in place.

Jay Negrin
Greater LA (which some would say is an oxymoron)