Modified Alfetta Gt

To save on having to reply to the enquiries coming in about the modified
Alfetta Gt here is the reply I sent earlier to Ben Bishop in Australia:

>Hi Ben
>
>This was a completely re-engineered car. The front suspension was Koni
Formula 1 units (alloy coil overs) with 1100 lb springs, the rear was more
or less standard Alfa using the de Dion and Watts linkage. Rollbars were
adjustable and ran in metal bushes. We put the engine inside the car with a
hole cut in the perspex front screen for the intake into the 8 trumpets -
the engine bay was empty. The Alfetta doughnuts in the shortened driveshaft
were replaced with VW cv joints. The tansaxle was Alfetta but with an oil
pump that circulated the oil through a cooler and then sprayed the main
pressure points  ... all home built.  Wheels were 13 inch diameter and with
the gearing we had, the car ran nearly 200 mph on our fastest curcuits
which don't have particularly long straights. Horsepower on a good day was
around 570 running on Shell Number 1 and mileage was 1.5 mpg (Imperial
gallon bigger than US gall., even in Texas!).

>The body was stock steel shell (nothing cut away) with kevlar flares and
front airdam and an aluminum rear spoiler which had a 747 cross section
turned upside down.