Re: painting cam cover

Vilejidiot@domain.elided had written:
> Subject: paint on cam covers

>Use a foam brush and any "automotive engine" paint ought to work just
fine -
>found at the local autoparts places here in my neck of the woods.  I've
>painted all sorts of cam covers with Eastwoods crackle finish paint (spray)
>and used off the shelf paints for other "things" in the engine compartment.
>I bead blast the covers and apply the paint to the bare "blasted" aluminum.

You want to be careful mixing bead blasting and engine internal parts
(the underside of a cam cover IS an internal part).  I would either use
a very mild media - crushed walnut shells, or chicken feathers, or
something else that I wouldn't mind ending up in my oil, OR I would
really seal off the underside of the cam cover + any mounting holes /
oil fill holes, etc before subjecting it to sand.

As I understand it, aluminum is soft enough to allow some abrasive
particles to get imbedded during the blasting process.  Then, over
time, they work loose, ending up in your oil.  Not a pretty picture.

My process for cleaning a cam cover prior to painting is limited
to a thorough de-greasing, followed by a trip through the dish
washer to really degrease it (do this on "girls night out").  Maybe
use a little steel wool on the outside, and leave it at that.

Jay Mackro