Sylvan Avenue

In AD7-1400 Bob Abhalter writes "I'm still wondering about the
Alfaromeoinc.com domain name. An earlier post said it was registered to Alfa
Romeo Inc., 250 Sylvan Avenue, Englewood Cliffs, NJ. Now, I'm 99 percent sure
that WAS the address of ARI before the formation of ARDONA and the move to
Florida. I'm pretty sure that there is no such office address or organization
anymore and that there really hasn't been for many years. My own WHOIS lookup
indicates that the domain was registered June 7, 1999. So why would Fiat or
ARDONA register an obsolete name using an out of date address ten or more
years after moving their offices and changing their name? And why does the
phone number listed for Alfa Romeo Inc. have a Pasadena, California area code
and a number in the same series as the Earthlink Offices? And who is Nat
Modugno, anyway? Very strange."

Well, yes. I too had thought that ARI had morphed into ARDONA and moved to
Orlando, etc. But a friend who knows far more about the post-purchase history
than I really want to tells me that Ferrari N.A. has offices on Sylvan Avenue
in Englewood Cliffs, (presumably the former ARI east-coast premises) and that
on those Ferrari N.A. premises there is a company with the name "Alfa Romeo
Inc." which had previously been housed in FIAT's Manhattan offices, along
with FIAT Finance, and which now performs some administrative and financial
services for FIAT. He says all of this is shown on the FIAT SpA annual
reports. He does not say, but I would guess, that this "Alfa Romeo Inc." has
minimal actual involvement in critical decision-making about the engineering
and design of cars which I would consider to be logical descendants of those
built by Jano, Satta, and the other great spirits which animated Portello and
Arese in days of yore.

Whether ARI, the US company, actually ceased to exist and was later
reincarnated, or whether it had a continuous existance as a piece of paper in
a filing cabinet, seems of little import. There was once much more to Alfa
Romeo than words on an organization chart, and some of the "more" that was
there is, I strongly suspect, definitively gone.

John H.
Raleigh, N.C.