Re: alfa-digest V7 #1398

> Subject: Re: use of Alfa Romeo Logo
>
> At 04:31 PM 2/28/00 -0500, Colin Verrilli wrote:
> >I received the following email in regards to my 164 site. Be warned!
> >I didn't really appreciate the threatening tone and I don't understand
> >the logic of enforcing the logo thing for a site that is so obviously
> >not-for-profit and not associated with Fiat Auto.
>
> because of the way that trademark law is written, they're pretty much
> obligated to go around having logos removed.
>
> if you don't defend your trademark, and others infringe on it while you do
> nothing, you pretty much lose it, the way the law is written.
>
> richard

If Alfa would spend less time paying its patent lawyers and more on marketing they
would be better off.  Alfa can license any club it wants to use its marque with
appropriate disclaimers.  It would seem to me far better to encourage the use of
the marque than to tick off their most loyal supporters. But Alfa has never
followed the easy course.

Tom Simiele
81 - Spider
Former 164 and Milano