Milano dies..

I tried rallycrossing in the Milano yesterday.
Of the 60 or so cars (OK, so 40 were prepped GTIs and Quattros), I probably
fared the worst: At the very first bump the car shutoff. I didn't even make it
around the first turn.  Had to be towed off the course by a gti.. Probably the
only dnf in the first 3 runs.  Other cars started dnf-ing after that for "valid"
reasons like clutch or knuckle.

Anyway.. the car won't start, I have good spark, there's fuel in the rail.
Haven't checked if the ECU connector came loose,  but I am fearing the worst:
because the car sounds different cranking, and once in awhile it sounds like it
almost fires.. I think the timing belt jumped a tooth or two..  Why would a bump
make it do that? what's loose in there?  New belt w. new tensioner.. pretty sure
I set it right..

Any thoughts?
thx
Jan