Re: V6 "insulating gaskets"?

Chris Landry wrote:

> Anyway, I'm about to install the intake rinners to the heads.  The manual
> shows a stackup of gasket, insulating gasket, gasket.  Whatever was in
there
> seems to have been discarded.  The new gasket set I bought has 12 of the
> right shaped gaskets, all identical, that appear to be some gasket
material
> bonded to a metal mesh.  That would be two per runner.
>
> Am I missing the "insulating gaskets"?

Yes, you are. You should have 6 bakelite insulators, the same shape as the
gasket, about 3/8" thick (~9mm for the metric world :-).
They are fairly fragile and frequently crack when being removed from the
head.

> Do I just use the 2 gaskets I have per runner?

I'd have to say no - they're there for a reason. At a guess I'd say they
provide some thermal insulation to keep the plenum chamber temperature down.

Tony
1985 Alfa 90 2.5i
The Alfa 90 Page http://www.geocities.com/t.lupton
- --
Tony Lupton                            *    Astracon (Australia) Pty Ltd
Project Manager, Learning Products  *    *  10/303 Coronation Drive
Email: t.lupton@domain.elided         *   PO Box 1656
Phone: +61 7 3368 6926                      Milton Qld 4064
Mob:   +61 413 208 743                *     Australia
Fax:   +61 7 3368 6999