164 Dash lights

Well, since I am fixing an automatic transmission hose on my 164 and the
car is not going anywhere, I figured I could finally replace a dash
light that was burnt out (h2o temp light).

After removing the electronic instrument panel and taking out the burnt
light, I noticed that the light was perfectly fine and not blown.  I
then replaced the h2o temp light with the oil press light (which I know
worked earlier) and re-installed the panel.  The light still did not
work.  I then re-installed the original oil press light into its socket
and it did not work!  Now, I the center two dash lights (oil press and
h2o temp lights) are not working and the bulbs are perfectly fine.

Hmmmmm, anybody else have this similar problem?  Any ideas on what could
be wrong?

Please advise.

Chip Schug