Re: 164 gearbox blowup info

My advice is to junk the box. The case is Aluminum (Aluminium?) alloy,
and unless you're an expert in welding those materials, you may do
more damage trying to fix it. Second, that box won't work again
without some new gears, and maybe other expensive parts (gears,
bearings, etc.) that got damaged by all those metal bits circulating
around.  The most expedient way to get the car back on the road again
is defintely a used box from a wrecking yard. Trying to rebuild the
old one is probably a waste of time and money.

SF