Re: alfa-digest V7 #1382

In a message dated 02/23/2000 12:09:07 AM Pacific Standard Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

<< In L.A., everybody is used to
 convertibles, and it's no big deal.  I pull the face off my radio, leave
 nothing of value in the car, and leave it unlocked with the top down
 routinely.  I've never had anything thrown in it, but hey, we don't allow
 pedestrians out here anyway... >>

Sounds right to me.

I don't recall if anyone ever threw trash or ice cream in one of the spiders
while parked, but I do recall these 2 wacky incidents:

Once, while the green car was parked on a Hollywood street and I was at work
on a scorching summer's day, someone apparently drove by and threw raw eggs
at it.  The eggs cooked when they hit the hot bodywork, some splashing onto
the seat and steering wheel.

Another time in a quiet part of town, the car was parked with the top UP but
of course the doors unlocked.  Someone brilliant decided to break into the
car to see what might be in there, and jimmied open the passenger side wind
wing, even though the door itself was unlocked and untried.

One other time, late at night in a Hollywood parking lot with the top down,
someone figured there was something of value like drugs or guns in the glove
compartment, which was locked, so crowbarred it open, cracking the dash
(later expertly repaired by Craig's Vinyl which makes garage calls, probably
no longer in business).

Moral:

If you're going someplace really suspect, don't take the spider if you have a
choice.  And never leave anything in the car that's worth more than a new top!

Charlie
Rainy LA, CA, USA