Spider ignition switch

Hello

This weekend I am planning to replace the ignition switch on my '85 Spider
Graduate.  Reading the manual, it appears that I can either take the
steering wheel off, loosen the steering rack and then access the ignition
switch, OR just remove the top and bottom steering column covers and be
very careful...  I am obviously more interested in the second option, but I
am afraid I may be cutting corners and having to pay for it later.  Any
advice?  How about tips?

Thanks in advance

Spiros
'94 164LS